‘The 56’ Written By Matt Woodhead & Gemma Wilson
At 3.40pm on May 11th 1985, a small fire broke out in the main stand at Valley Parade football ground during the last game of the season. Within four minutes, the wooden structure was ablaze.
Adapted solely from over sixty real-life testimonies, this bold and pertinent piece of documentary theatre pays homage to the supporters who lost their lives in one of the darkest days in British footballing history.
On the 30th anniversary of the disaster, ‘The 56’ examines the solidarity, strength and community in the face of overwhelming tragedy.
- Shortlisted for ‘Best Drama’ in the BBC Radio Drama Awards 2017
- North East Theatre Guide’s Runner up for ‘Best Drama of 2016’
- Directors Guild Award for Best Newcomer
- Spotlight Award for Most Promising Actress
- Judges Award for Best Ensemble (NSDF)